|Executive Principal’s Blog – 19.1.24 – ‘One Key Thing’
The one key thing that all parents and carers can do to support their children to make maximum progress and achievement is very simple: ensure that they attend school every day.
Attendance is directly linked to achievement. Students who attend school more get better grades. The Department for Education’s research shows that 17 school days of absence results in all of a student’s GCSE grades dropping by one grade. This could be the difference between passing or failing any of their courses.
Higher attendance means higher achievement. If your child’s grades suffer because of poor attendance, the qualifications they miss out on could have a long-term impact on their future.
Do you know what your child’s attendance currently is? Our attendance target is 98%, but we want all students and parents to aim for 100%! If you have a concern about your child’s attendance, do contact your child’s Character Development Coach or Pastoral Manager so we can arrange ways to support you with this.
We know all parents and carers want the best for the children, and to achieve this we need you to help us keep their attendance as high as possible. Every day of school missed is learning lost, and learning is what can help reach their future goals. Here are a few tips to ensuring great attendance:
- telephone us as soon as you know your child will be absent
- avoid taking holidays in term time
- only allow time off for genuine illness
- find out your child’s attendance by contacting Miss Cassidy, the school’s Attendance Officer
- look for signs of truancy or absences you can’t explain, discuss these with your child, and listen to any issues they are having in school
- only book routine appointments for the dentist or GP outside of school hours
- report any concerns to your child’s Character Development Coach or Pastoral Manager
- expect, praise, encourage and reward good attendance
I would like to thank all parents and carers for the important part that they play in supporting the school and their children. At Bushey Meads we have fantastic teachers who are dedicated to education and to their students, but they can only help your child to learn and succeed if you get your child into school. Help us to keep your child’s attendance over 98% to give them the best possible chance of succeeding at school.
We look forward to celebrating every child’s high attendance and achievement – don’t forget the Pizza Party at the end of term for all those students who achieve 100% attendance for the term!
As always, do click on the link to read this week’s BMS News highlighting many other activities that have taken place in our wonderful school. With best wishes for a good weekend.